A list of my professional friends and colleagues. (pdf)
Some of my friends and colleagues
I had the privilege to work with a large number of colleagues sharing my interests in geographic information. This is a very incomplete list, mostly friends not listed elsewhere as co-authors, team members of NCGIA, students.
From the time in Vienna
- Gilberto Camara (INPE Brazil)
From the group attending COSIT 2019
- Christian Freksa (Uni Bremen, deceased)
- Ioannis Giannopoulos (TU Wien)
- Francis Harvey (U Leipzig)
- Stephen Hirtle (U Pittsburg)
- Christoph Schlieder (U Bamberg)
- John G. Stell (U Leeds)
- Anthony Galton (U Execter)
- Tony Cohn (U Leeds)
- Susan Epstein (Hunter College, CUNY)
From my time in the USA
- Admiral John Bossler, retired Nationmal Geodetic Survey, and retired
A transcript of a talk where Bossler remembers the time when the North American Datum was recomputed.
- John Eisner, was at National Geodetic Survey; he introduced me to the discussion around abstract data types Parnas and Share (1978) which I could connect with the courses from Prof. Engeler at ETH and influenced much of my research directions.
- Alan Saalfeld, was faculty OSU
- Bruce Palmer, was at Digital Equipment Corp.
From my student time at ETH Zurich
- Christian and Hazel Eggenberger, Grabs SG
- Andreas Gautschi (ETH ZIR)
- Max Egenhofer, now Prof. of Geoinformation, University of Maine, Orono ME
- Werner Kuhn, retired from University of Californai at Santa Barbara, now in Lisabon
- Massimo Rumor, Padova
From school in Switzerland
- Gian-Battista (Giampadisli) von Tscharner We spend together a few years at the Evangelische Mittelschule Samaden (ELAS) - now Academia Engiadina. Giampadisili is the only one of my former colleagues from school I have seen in the past decades; he lives in the castle of his family and produces wine. The memories of our Schulreise (school excursion) to the castle about 50 years ago came back to my memory when we stopped at his door.
Parnas, D. L. 1972. “A Technique for Software Module Specification with Examples.” ACM Communications 15 (5): 330–36.
Parnas, D. L., and J. E. Share. 1978. “Language Facilities for Supporting the Use of Data Abstraction in the Development of Software Systems.” Information System Staff, Naval Research Laboratory.